Friday, April 1, 2011

The deep water


When I was a growing up we lived next to a creek with the best swimming hole within three counties. Summer time would come and the kids would come. Friends, family, minor acquaintances, it did not matter they were there to go swimming! Some of my fondest memories are sitting on that creek bank watching the kids swim. Yeah sitting on the bank.... at most I would only get ankle deep in the water. To say I was scared to death of the deep water is the understatement of my childhood. As I grew older I became more comfortable with the deep water, even learning how to swim and have a good time with my cousins.
This correlates to my walk as a Christian. I have stayed in my comfort zone because, well, its comfortable. I know what I am called to do but have barely scraped the surface of it. Like most other areas of my life I have done what I absolutely had to do to get by. It hit me the other day as I was on my way back to Jasper from Gainesville on Hwy 53. I had a visual stimulus flashback to the times I spent watching my cousins and friends instead of swimming with them. I was driving across one of the bridges on Lake Lanier and it hit me. Its time to get off the bank and get in the deep water. Its time to answer the call.

No comments: